Saturday, January 12, 2013

While Lost in Costa Rica

Tonight's story dates comes to us from our cousins, Nathaniel and Betty Lippitt. My brother Henry, his wife Wendy, and their first child were living in Costa Rica for a year. My parents and I spent Christmas with them. During that trip, Tom and Anita traversed the country to visit Anita's first cousin Nathaniel and his family who had been living there for some time. 

Anita, as I have followed the progress of your hospitalization through Margaret's e-mail updates, it occurred to me that someone whose response to being lost on a dirt path in a foreign country was to simply get out of the car and have a picnic must be made of pretty strong stuff.  It was then that I knew you were going to beat this as well.  Of course, I am referring to the time when you and Tom came to visit Nathaniel and me in Puerto Limon, Costa Rica.  (This would have been around 1984 or 1985 because our daughter, Elizabeth, was a young child.)  You left San Jose for the 3-hour drive to Limon, and as I recall, somewhere between Cartago and Turrialba, you all took a wrong turn.  As you told us when you arrived, the pavement ran out, then the dirt road became a path and soon you were driving along in someone's pasture.  We asked, "What did you do then?"  And you said, "Oh, it was a beautiful place.  We just got out and had a picnic!"  Eventually, you turned around, went back to the highway and found your way to us in Limon.  I was impressed then that you were so open to adventure and resourceful in the face of a challenge.  I know that was not an isolated event, but rather an indication of traits that have served you well all through life.  The hospital may not be your choice place for a picnic now, but I know you will find your way "back to the highway" soon!  

By the way, Nathaniel and I talked last night about that visit to Costa Rica and recalled how much we enjoyed our time with you and Tom.  I remember you told us about your travels, Tom's military service, and so many more stories.

We hope to hear soon that you are up and out once again.

With our love,
Betty (and Nathaniel)

No comments: