Monday, January 14, 2013

YELLOW BIRD

Story offered by Crabette Cathy Sakas (along with 2 videos!)

Good Morning Anita,
I hope things are improving and that you all will be home very soon. I took a walk yesterday afternoon since the sun was out and it wasn't too cold and sang as I walked along. I was thinking of you and "Yellow Bird" found its way to my mind and so I sang it to the birds I passed along the way. A few of them had yellow rumps so I thought the song was appropriate. "Yellow Bird" was of course in your honor. 
Love,
Cathy

Sidebar by Margaret: Anita and her sibs, Devereaux, Max, and Ashby, grew up playing instruments together. Anita began her accordion career at age 14. Dev played the musical saw (click here to see the real McCoy), Uncle Max and Ashby played guitars. Having been weaned on hillbilly Little Jimmy Dickens, brilliant if off-color Tom Lehrer, opera, and everything in between, they developed quite a repertoire among themselves. It was easy to see how music might trickle down the generations, especially when Max and Anita were present.

Out would come the guitar and accordion, followed by hours of music, singing all verses by heart. One such song was the calypso song "Yellow Bird." I remember this being a favorite of the youngest of my generation, who was Uncle Max's daughter, "Little Ashby." Being so young, she often had to go to bed before the singing ended. So our tradition turned into singing Little Ashby off to bed with "Yellow Bird." (It reminds me of Gretel in The Sound of Music.) In my heart memory, I can still hear Uncle Max, at the end of the song, saying softly, "Good night, Pooty."

Tonight, after "tucking" Anita in bed and turning out the lights, I am happy to say with great gratitude and deep affection, "Good night, Anita. And good night to the host of those who love and uphold us during this surprising chapter."

Final comment from Anita tonight after 2 weeks in the hospital: Crazy business, this hotel!

Here's one rendition of the song if you care to listen.

Comments and memories welcome here!

No comments: